Monday, October 29, 2007

Tech Trek 2.0.9

The last library exercise involves YouTube and podcasts. For those of you who remember, I wrote about this podcast I subscribe to a while back. Also, when I was in my last year at WSBF the computer engineer set up podcasts for every show. That was a great way for SWP to have archives of our work as well as make our "Best of Sunday School" freestyle compilation CD. I've always had the ability to create podcasts with my Mac and recording equipment, but I've never tried. The Odeo Studio page has a great tutorial as well as some basic lo-fi recording software anyone can use.

One of my favorite things to search for on YouTube are what I call superfan video compilations. Those are highlight videos for single athletes. I'm usually pretty critical of these videos because they are either made with horrible music or edited poorly. Today I searched through some Dwyane Wade mixes and found one with a song I like but subpar editing as well as lo quality footage. Check it:

Overall, I think podcasts are a more useful tool for the library overall because they work like RSS feeds and automatically update. It would be relatively easy for the media services department to record one of us listing the new materials of the month and have it automatically distribute to people who subscribe (but it would be even easier to just type this list out and start a mailing list). I'm not sure how useful YouTube is for other departments, but it is fantastic for media services because we can post videos of bands playing at our Blues Bash and Local Blend concert series, but we could also place video clips of upcoming Metropolitan Opera Simulcasts (more to come on that soon) as well as the films that we show in our Independent Lens series.

No comments: