Monday, October 1, 2007

Tech Trek 2.0.6

The latest Tech Trek exercise involves Social Networking sites. I've been on Facebook for about 3 years now (in fact, I'm friends with a few people from the library... here's one of their blogs), but I've never created a MySpace account because I'm afraid of viruses (or is is virusi or viri?) and security. Since Sugar Water Purple created a MySpace page 2 years ago, our account has been hacked 3 times, and that really turned me off to MySpace... but we need the exposure so I put up with the security risk. In fact, I'm so warry of MySpace that I never even use my first name, only my DJ alias on our page. I like Facebook because you have to be a member to see any information, and I've set my privacy settings to where you have to be my friend to see my page.

Another reason I am so against MySpace is described here: I really dislike how long it takes to load a page with music and customized backgrounds, layouts, fonts, cursors and other extraneous garbage. I like that every Facebook page is no frills... just a way to keep in touch with old friends and get to know new ones.

I've considered the possibilities of using social networking sites to help people reference and reserve materials at the library, and I think it could work out. Personally, I keep a notebook in my back pocket with things my friends request from the library; and I place holds and renew materials for them. If you're reading this and don't work at the library... you can always get at me to see if we have what you're looking for and I'll help you get it. So send me a facebook message or call my cell phone.

No comments: