Thursday, October 18, 2007

Tech Trek 2.0.7

Before this exercise, I was not very familiar with Wikis (other than wikipedia, and I know better than to believe everything I read there). I explored around this site and was blown away at how many uses there are for wiki technology in the library. I think it would be cool to have a wiki site for media services to post our collection and allow users to make reviews, comments, and maybe even a synopsis of materials (especially DVD's) in order to help those patrons who make their reserves on the web. Here at the main library branch, I notice that we have quite a few patrons who simply make reserves online and come to pick them up. These patrons very rarely browse the physical collection, so I think creating a space for them to find out more about the materials they are requesting could be very informative. It would also allow our more active and interested patrons to share their knowledge of what they have already checked out with those patrons who have yet to consume a piece of our media collection.

I also really liked this site because it helps patrons find what they are interested in without requiring them to know title or author. This could be very useful in media services because we frequently get patrons who are looking for "a video or DVD on World War I" or "a DVD biography on an African-American leader".

This may be the most useful tool for our department introduced by the Tech Trek exercise yet

No comments: