Monday, September 22, 2008

Some Of My Favorites From The Weekend

Every weekend seems to have a musical theme for me. This past weekend, I listened to Def Jux artists almost exclusively. First, I finally bought Aesop Rock's None Shall Pass on vinyl this weekend. Can't wait to play Citronella out. It's gonna kill the backpack headnod crowd. Peep:

My favorite song from the record is Catacomb Kids. Such a killer beat, lyrics are on point, the hook always brings it back to somewhat catchy (at least for Aes), and the ride out will break your neck... or at least put a dent in your car's headrest:

I also rediscovered Company Flow's dis track aimed at Sole from Anticon records. Check how El-P samples Sole trying to squash their beef over the phone and uses it against him for the aptly titled Linda Trip (snitchin on yourself over the phone, not knowing you're being taped... I see you, Monica Lewinsky):

Be sure to read the lyrics to Linda Trip while listening. El's flow is crazy dense, and his hundred bars a minute style is SO suited for battle rap. El's always so pissed, but rarely has a specific outlet to aim his anger at. I feel bad for Sole. Shouldn't ever have released Dear Elpee. Bad move. Also, it's a bad move to sound like a bitch-made dick rider when trying to squash beef that you started with an underground king/auteur/indelible MC. At least when Esoteric battled El, he truly battled, not just released a record to get his name out and then backpeddle when he realized he would get a response from a superior talent.

No comments: