Friday, September 19, 2008

Friday Jams (De La Soul Is Dead Edition)

Since my De La SB Dunks are making their first appearance on my feet today; I'd like to take this opportunity to encourage anyone reading this to purchase De La Soul's sophomore album, De La Soul Is Dead. All I'll say is, best hip-hop group ever. It shouldn't matter after that. Every album is classic in its own right. De La Soul Is Dead will flip your brain over tho.

Peep Millie Pulled a Pistol on Santa:

The beat samples an ill guitar lick by Eddie Hazel from Funkadelic's I'll Stay (Standing on the Verge of Getting It On), and the opening vocal snippet from George Clinton comes from Funkadelic's Mommy, What's a Funkadelic (self-titled album). Also, if you dig I'll Stay, check out D'Angelo and Roy Hargrove's cover.

If anyone ever fronts like Pease Porridge isn't one of the funkiest, catchiest, neck-snapping beats ever produced; we'll have problems. Big ups to Prince Paul for this one... top 10 beats of all time. It's not even debateable. Peep:

And since no one has uploaded Afro Connections at a Hi-5 (In the Eyes of the Hoodlum) to youtube yet, I'll hit you off with a jam from AOI: Bionix... Trying People. Peep:

No comments: