Thursday, January 29, 2009

Forth and Back IV Blog

I've been waiting for a little to bubble off about the show on Tuesday, mostly because I was super tired yesterday after getting only a couple hours of sleep.

Hunter and I rehearsed for a little after I got off work on Tuesday, ate some fast food on the way to the show, and got all set up with plenty of time to spare. I took Femi to get some equipment that he and Adam needed and left behind on the way to the show; and when I got back Hunter had already handled sound check. We sat around for about 15 minutes before Jess, Becca, Ben, Brittany, Bochet, Emily, and Cam showed up; so we decided to start spinning.

After about 40 mintues of just improv jamming, Hunter and I started our planned set. Throughout our time on stage, Walter took pictures of us on the decks; and Femi shouted us out on the mic durring intrumentals (I gotta admit that hearing Femi yell out names like Bubbleguts Brothers/Bird Flu in front of so many people geally got me gassed). Heads flipped over the Stakes is High remix we pulled off, and lots of people liked our blend from Bad Luck Blues to a Stevie Wonder and Tribe sampled party break into a tenor sax cover of John Lennon's Imagine. Forth and Back went on stage around midnight (a little earlier than usual), so we cut our planned set short to give them ample time to do their thing.

The band killed it, going for a little over an hour without a break. About 40 minutes into their set Femi called us up to cut during their cover of The Roots' Next Movement. We did our little 4 bar question and answer cut sessions during Adam's drum solo, and we were happy at the results. If you haven't seen me and Hunter do that routine before, we trade off cutting for four measures each trying to comliment each other's rhythms on the cut as well as the sample chosen to cut. After that song, Hunter and I left the stage to let Forth and Back catch some more shine while I smoked a cigarette.

After a couple more songs (pretty much right at 1 am) Forth and Back took a set break. Hunter and I came back on stage to play a planned set during their intermission, but while we were getting on stage someone yelled out "play Weezy". Once that happened, Hunter and I looked at each other and both silently decided to take the crowd on the hit parade. We call it a roller coaster set (name taken from J.Rocc's description of this type of DJing) where you play nothing but huge hits without regard to tempo or mixing at all... just dropping heat. It's caled a roller coaster set because every time you drop a song, the whole crowd should yell "Ooooh". We played Let Me Ride by Dr. Dre and Snoop, Shimmy Shimmy Ya by ODB, Scenario by ATCQ, and many others. My favorite part of doing that set was taking all the music out for a second to let the crowd sing a line only to bring the music back. All in all, it was a great night on stage.

Once the show was over, some bullshit about payment popped off (not gonna get into details for the entire interweb to see) and Hunter and I both went home after packing our equimpent/records back up.

Now I'm in the process of putting the What I Put On When I'm Banging Your Mom revised tracklist together so I can record and get packaging done on the tape. Gustavo (B'Zar and Suite Sole) hooked me up with a business card for someone that does CD duplication, so I may go that route to save myself the time of putting together 200 copies (gotta press lots more of this tape than of previous tapes now that I'm giving copies away through Suite Sole). Stay on the lookout for that mix. You'll be able to get it through me or by purchasing some heat for your feet from Suite Sole.

hugethingsgoingonrightnow.

No comments: