Thursday, August 21, 2008

My New Hobby... Watching old Soul Train videos

And that's real talk.

Back in the day, live Soul Train performances weren't lip synched. James and the JB's showcasing on stage live and direct shows how great the show once was. Especially after they kill the crowd in the breakdown between Soul Power and Make It Funky. I dig:

And even just the dancing footage to a DJ is supreme. Don Cornelius' interviews were always a little awkward, but his smoothness made up for any stiff interview subjects. Here's some kids getting down to the LP version of make it funky. Make sure to peep out the keyboard from 1:57 to 2:32. Grant and I used to always throw two fingers up high and mime the repeating notes for the whole lead back in the day. I still do, and I imagine he does the same whenever he hears this song.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello,
Do you know where I can find the soul train video from 1980, season 9, episode 31, with
"Leon Haywood/L.A.Boppers..