Wednesday, August 6, 2008

A Forgotten Classic

Every once in a while, I get surprised by a song I love but have forgotten about for one reason or another. Such an occassion happened this weekend. While hanging out in the James Bond-inspired bar at Palmer's family's house in Myrtle Beach, I was perusing Mr. Stowe's iPod only to find Rock Steady by Aretha Franklin.

The break (you'll know it when you hear it) has always been one of my favorites, mostly because it already sounds like a DJ is cutting and looping the break to get that cool "Rock... Steady" synchopated break with those killer drums breathing through. At the inception of hip-hop, Grandmaster Flash used to loop that little 4 bar break forever to give the B-Boy's time to get wide opin and get busy.

Anyway, here's a live version of Aretha doing Rock Steady in 1971. The break happens 1:46 in. Peep:

Big ups to Palmer's dad for being the most unlikely source for break digging I've ever encountered.

No comments: