Friday, August 8, 2008

Friday Jam(e)s

It's Friday. You know what that means. This week, I'm hitting you off with some of my favorite James Brown selections to peep. First up, James and the JB's doing "Ain't it Funky Now". The first solo is by guitarist Catfish Collins (Bootsy's brother), then Fred Wesley gets down on trombone, Bootsy rips a crazy bass solo, and James kills the organ in his signature style. I don't know if you know this or not, but when James says "s'morgin", he is essentially asking if you would mind if he played a little organ for your mind.

And here's one my favorites, "Papa Don't Take No Mess". Lot's of personal significance with this song; but mostly, I dig the horns building up and then peeling off that slick horn line every time James says "hit me". Peep:

Weekendsrealbig

No comments: