Wednesday, June 11, 2008

If I Ruled The World Remix

I've been getting some questions and complaints about the Sunny Sunday In Battery Park mix not being completed yet, but I wanted to explain the hold-up. I had included a remix of Nas ft. Lauryn Hill's If I Ruled the World, but it was not to my liking and I've decided to re-mix the remix. Lately, I've been trying to step my mixtape game up, and in the case of the Sunny Sunday mix, I've decided to make my own beat for this particular remix. It is only the second beat I have ever made (the other appearing as a bonus song on the Tell a Friend mix), and it is my best so far (I guess that makes the last joint on Tell a Friend my worst). Anyway, the beat is made from the drum break of the Dap Kings' Nervous Like Me, the bonus beats from Jurassic 5's Red Hot, the drum break from James Brown's Funky Drummer, and the opening break from Atmosphere's YGM.

Previously, I had just laid the Nas a cappella over the Dap Kings break (no flips or anything) and switched to the J5 bonus beats at the "walk right up to the sun hand in hand" bridge after the 2nd chorus. This seemed lazy, as the new mix had lots of potential to be a banger. Plus, it's always great to make a song you appreciate for what it is into something you truly love because you love all the parts that make up the whole. Seriously, every piece of this new beat comes from a song I am a fan of, and I picked some of my favorite parts to use in the new composition.

Sorry it's taking me so long to complete this tape (summer might be over by the time I finally get off my ass and finish this mix), but getting this remix right is an arduous process. I'm being a total perfectionist about this remix because the original song is a classic and I don't want people to think I'm fucking with perfection and trying to shit out a half-hearted remix.

I really appreciate people being interested in the mix, so please don't lose patience/interest. I'll be done soon, and I hope the addition of the remix to the remix will make the tape that much more enjoyable.

respeck

No comments: