Saturday, June 7, 2008

Best of Boxing Episode 2

I'd been kind of neglecting my Best of Boxing series, but some distrubing news yesterday made me want to write a new post...

"Pretty Boy" Floyd Mayweather, Jr. retired yesterday. The best boxer of my generation, and most likely the most talented dude I'll ever see fight live, cancelled his rematch with "The Golden Boy" Oscar De La Hoya (like anybody really wanted to see those two fight again) and decided to call it quits. I'm legitimately sad. Since most people I know aren't all about watching boxing and may not be familiar with Floyd, I figured I'd write a post in tribute to one of my favorite boxers to watch.

First off, Floyd has the fastest hands I've ever seen... ever. Agility and speed (watch for the sit-up routine at 1:39 on this video) for days. Hands down, the best defensive fighter ever. Floyd uses a defensive stance sometimes called the crab or Hitman stance (named after "Hitman" Tommy Hearns, the first to use this style). Fans of the video game series Fight Night may know of this style as the "Philly Shell." For an explanation of the style, check out this discussion (especially post number 11 by Brandon MacRae, great explanation). Simply, the Hitman Stance is the best way for counter-punchers to be effective, but it is very dangerous since you're not really protecting your head. The strategy is to get out of the way of punches; and if you can't, block them by rolling your shoulder to make the blow glance off. You have to be really fast and agile to use this style, and most trainers would never teach it. Only Hearns, James "Lights Out" Toney, and Floyd have used this stance as their primary defense. That should tell you something. Basically, the combination of Floyd's speed, athleticism, agility, and use of this Hitman stance makes him untouchable in the ring... so elusive. Peep:

I remember watching Floyd beat De La Hoya last summer in Atlanta. Everyone was rooting for Oscar, and I was jumping up and yelling every time Floyd landed a punch. Needless to say, everyone that was hating at the beginning of the fight was amazed at how well Floyd can fight by the end. You can hate him all you want, but there isn't a more impressive boxer out there right now. Mel sometimes tells the story of us watching Floyd fight Ricky "The Hitman" Hatton (disgracing Hearn's legacy with that nickname) with Eddie and JT while I shouted instructions and encouragement to Floyd like I was in his corner. It's actually kind of an embarassing story considering we were in La Hacienda after they closed watching the fight.

Enough explanations and pontificating... Here's a highlight video that says everything I've been trying to say: Floyd is the best. His skill and personality will be missed from boxing. I guess now I'll have to start raving about how Manny "Pac-Man"Pacquiao is the best boxer doing it.

No comments: