Monday, April 7, 2008

Once Again, Another New Mix

The theme for the next Philladelphia Mixtape Exchange meeting has changed, so I'm preparing a new mix for May's get-together. If your not familiar with what I'm talking about, check out the website for the club my sister started as well as the MySpace page. If you dig (and you want to join), join the google group.

So for May's meeting, the theme is Summer Jams. I've decided to rethink some of my party routines and put some steez on some old mixes to make a mix that fits the theme. If you made it out to any of the parties at 16 Market you may recognize some of the transitions and whatnot; but since I haven't been spinning out a lot lately, I figured I'd drop a reminder of some of my flyest live playlists for the locals and show the members of the club in Philly what I've been doing. I may even record it live. Here's some of the jams, but not in order or anything:

Notorious BIG - Everyday Struggle
DJ Day - Got To Get It Right
Lauryn Hill - Doo Wop (That Thing)
DJ Spinna - Avenue
The JB's - You Can Have Watergate
James Brown - Funky President
Average White Band - Pick Up the Pieces

I'm also finishing up a remix of Nas ft. Lauryn Hill "If I Ruled the World" that places the a capella over the drum break from the Dap Kings' "Nervous Like Me" as well as the bonus beats from Jurassic 5's "Red Hot" (which sampled the afforementioned Dap Kings burner).

Stay on the lookout. This untitled mix should be complete in the next couple of weeks. I'm looking for title suggestions, so if you want to listen to it before it's done and help me come up with a title... get at me. Also, big shouts to Mel for naming the "Somebody Give Me a Rock" mix. I forgot to mention that when I posted about it here.

No comments: