Friday, December 19, 2008

Friday Jams (PUTS Love Edition)

I've been practicing a new set for this Saturday. For those not in the know, I'm DJing at the Suite Sole Holiday party tomorrow from 6 to 9 pm. Gonna play lots of good shit, even a couple of People Under The Stairs joints. Coincidentally, I've been listening to PUTS pretty much exclusively (outside of when I'm practicing). I've always dug Thes One and Double K; but Cam has been bumping their The Om Years best of compilation, and it reminded me how much I dig the P. The Next Step is a killer album. Extra classic.

If you aren't familiar with PUTS, San Francisco Knights (The Next Step LP) is a great place to start. You get an illy laid back beat, fresh rhymes, and a somehow catchy cut folk hook. Peep:

Also off The Next Step, my favorite PUTS jam, Time To Rock Our Shit. I love how Thes rides from verse to hook to verse back to hook seamlessly. You almost don't even notice the chorus until he repeats it after his second verse over that ambient horn when the drums come back in. One of the best back-and-forth MC tag team tracks. "it's none other than the brothers from another mothership" is so clever and fits the feel of the groove perfectly. Check:

And Cam put me on to this one: The Bomb Combo (The Om Years). I hadn't heard this ever until Cam was playing The Om Years comp in his whip last week. I guess this cut is a previously unreleased B-side, cause I never even heard of it. PUTS somehow find a way to meld Gang Starr, Ugly Duckling, Mobb Deep, and the Likwit Crew on this. Crazy beat. Peep:

And here's a bonus joint (not PUTS)... East Flatbush Project ft. DeS - Tried By Twelve. Not much to say about this one except you might need a neck brace when it's over. One of the alltime best boom bap tracks. Check:

Enjoy the jams, come out to Suite Sole (Spring between Coming and St. Phillip) on Saturday, and thug out with the homie. weekendsrealbig.

Imallcitylikethemayor... yousemynameonmorefreshshitthancreedtaylor

No comments: