Friday, March 13, 2009

Friday Jams (Throwback 13th Edition)

It's gloomy as a mug out today; but my parents are stopping through tonight for dinner and I'm gonna fill my growler at Charleston Beer Exchange after work. In other words, makin lemons into liquored-up lemonade (but not that Mike's Hard bullshit, I'm talkin Grey Goose in some Simply Lemonade here, people). With my folks coming to town, I figured I'd post some of my favorite live throwback jams. For example, here's Bill Cobham and the George Duke Band absolutely destroying Red Baron:

And if you've ever let me play some shit for you off youtube, you've prolly already heard this extra-ruddy Stevie Wonder through a talk box version of Papa Was A Rolling Stone:

And not quite a throwback, but a cover of a throwback, here's the Axis of Justice's House Band (Tom and Brad from RATM, Flea from RHCP, Pete Yorn, and Serj from SOAD) doing a cover of Funkadelic's Alice In My Fantasies:

And how bout Herbie Hancock and the Headhunters (in their '74 heyday) doing Chameleon:

Finally, to slow it down a bit, here's (a non-live) clip of Freddie Hubbard's Get Your Soul Together. So many great musicians on this cut... Freddie, Ralph Penland, George Cables, Ron Carter:

seventyfourwasagoodyear.

No comments: