Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Sleep Deprivation is Starting to Get to Me

I haven't been sleeping much lately. There's not really a reason, there's just always something to do. Tonight is Alex's last night in town, so I have a feeling I'll only be getting a couple of winks tonight. I've been working on new mixes (kind of abandoned the Sunny Sunday mix). Hunter and I are trying to get dates to spin around town, so I've been stacking killer dance floor mixes as well as midtempo underground hip-hop/funk warmup mixes. I'll need these planned mixes in case I run out of ideas at a bar/party and need to keep it moving. It's always good to have a back-up for when the creative juices get too diluted by the alcohol.

Hunter and I are trying to play out at bars/parties with 4 turntables and all vinyl. We want to go back and forth between us rather than have me do a set and then him do a set. We were invited to play at the Black Cart (a bar I've always wanted to spin at), but the new management was not exactly welcoming to us. After telling Hunter how much they hate having DJ's, they let us know that we would be getting a portion of the door instead of a flat rate (they wanted to charge a cover... Hunter and I weren't about that). They also let us know that we would be paying for our drinks, and that they were trying to throw themed scene parties. Needless to say, we let them know that we weren't down.

So, we're both practicing as often as we can separately, and we are getting together to jam/work out a set on Friday afternoon. Hopefully soon, we'll be prepared to take Charleston over (Hunter is talking to people from Chai's) and get this money, son. In the meantime, if you are having a party, or know someone that is, that would like to have 2 DJ's killing it all night, holla. All we ask is free drinks and a little paper... or maybe just some drinks to take home. I'll always remember the time E-Bar paid me to play her boyfriend's birthday party with a bottle of Patron. Just as good as money in my opinion.

No comments: