Monday, February 25, 2008

Oscar Reflections

I watched the Oscars last night. Most of what I thought would happen went down: No Country For Old Men winning for adapted screenplay, the Coen brothers winning best director, Javier Bardem winning best supporting, and Daniel Day-Lewis winning best actor. I even called Diablo Cody winning best original screenplay (but I think a lot of people saw that one coming). That French girl winning best actress was a big surprise, but the biggest surprise was that my favorite movie of the year (No Country for Old Men) won best picture. Nice to see the Academy giving the Coen Brothers their due for something not named Fargo. Seriously tho... between The Big Lebowski, Raising Arizona, Oh Brother, The Man Who Wasn't There, and many other masterpieces it's a shame these guys don't have a whole shelf of statues. Maybe it's because they give horrible acceptance speeches. It was nice to see Josh Brolin give them a statue, and Scorcese's presentation speech for best director was really nice. I wonder what he said to Ethan Coen on the way off stage. Prolly something like "real funny, asshole. I waited my whole career for one of those and you tell a joke for your acceptance speech". I actually laughed both times he did it, though. I wish Into the Wild didn't get completely snubbed, but at least the Academy recognized how good No Country was.

No comments: